1951 - On the Air: WXIA-TV's history dates back to 1951 when the station signed on the air as an ABC affiliate. Twenty-nine years later, in September 1980, Channel 11 joined NBC. Early in its history, the station was known as WLWA-TV and operated under the ownership of Crosley Broadcasting. Known from the start as a station with a strong interest in local, live programming, the station was purchased in 1962 by Richard Fairbanks of Indianapolis and officially became WAII-TV, The Eyes of Atlanta. In 1963 WAII-TV introduced News Watch and brought the first woman weather forecaster, Eleanor Knight, to the airwaves, followed by Linda Faye in 1964. Three years later in March of 1967, WAII-TV began broadcasting the news with its first color camera.
1968 - A New Beginning: In 1968 WAII was sold to Pacific and Southern Broadcasting and Channel 11 became known as WQXI-TV until 1974 when the station became WXIA-TV. Two years later, the station adopted the 11Alive name. Ownership of WXIA-TV changed again in 1979 when Combined Communications Corporation signed a deal with the Gannett Company to become one of the largest mergers in media history. In 2015, Gannett spun its publishing properties from its broadcast and digital properties, creating TEGNA Media. TEGNA Media includes 46 television stations (including those serviced by TEGNA) and is the largest independent station group of major network affiliates in the top 25 markets. TEGNA Media reaches approximately one-third of all television households nationwide In 1996, WXIA-TV was the NBC flagship station of the Atlanta Summer Olympics. Included among the many personalities to work at WXIA-TV over the years were NBC's Stone Phillips and actor Dick Van Dyke. Van Dyke worked as an announcer and audioman. Allegedly, Phillips was discovered waiting tables at an Atlanta restaurant by a station executive. The Dateline anchor went directly from his summer job to the 11Alive newsroom.
Today: 11Alive currently employs more than 200 men and women in the areas of news, engineering, production, promotion, accounting, sales, programming, web design and development, and administrative support. WXIA-DT went on the air October 1998. In 2006, 11Alive became Atlanta's first station to broadcast all local news programs in high definition. Also in 2006, Gannett Broadcasting acquired WATL-TV (Channel 36), and WATL became an affiliate of MyNetworkTV. WATL-TV broadcasts in the digital and HD spectra.
Desktop Display, Social, Mobile Display, Email
- Headline:Publisher: Atlanta News, Weather, Traffic, Sports and Entertainment | Atlanta, GA | 11Alive.com WXIA TV
- Self / Managed Service:Managed Service
- IndustriesAutomotive, Clothing & Fashion, Consumer Packaged Goods, Education, Energy and Utilities, Entertainment, Financial Services, Government & Politics, Health & Beauty, Healthcare, Non-Profit, Retail, Sports, Technology, Telecommunications, Travel & Leisure, eCommerce
- Key DifferentiatorThe Networks of 11Alive can help grow your business 11Alive, 11Alive.com, MyAtl and our digital channels that make up the Networks of 11Alive offer the most powerful and cost-effective way to tell Metro Atlanta about your business. Every week, 11Alive reaches the metro area with our news, sports, and NBC prime time programming. Our website, 11Alive.com, is one of most popular local online destinations in Atlanta. The Networks of 11Alive is the perfect way to get your message out to your prospective customers. We have all the tools that you will need to help create an advertising campaign that will get results. We can provide you research from Nielsen and Leigh Stowell & Company, award-winning commercial and online production, and of course our highly-experienced and creative staff to help you get the most impact for your advertising dollar. Contact our Director of Sales, Tim McNamara with questions or inquires by email at email@example.com.
- 0 SDKs
- 11 Total reviews
- App Url: https://itunes.apple.com/app/wxia/id416834324
- App Support: http://www.11alive.com/news/local/mobile/iphone.aspx
- Genre: Weather
- Bundle ID: com.gannett.wxia.ipad.wsi
- App Size: 9.5 M
- Version: 2.8.103
- Release Date: February 1st, 2011
- Update Date: March 11th, 2016
11Alive WXIA TV is pleased to announce a full featured weather app for the iPad.
? NOWrad, the gold standard for radar in the weather industry
? 11 Alive Local Radar
? Exclusive patent pending Road Weather Index showing weather related road hazards
? High resolution temperatures, wind speeds and snow cover
? Real-time earthquake plotting
? Doppler radar storm tracking which identifies severe weather cells and their likely path
? Hurricane, typhoon and tropical cyclone tracking
? Fully integrated GPS and user defined location awareness
? Color coded severe weather alerts from the National Weather Service
? 11 Alive Video Forecasts
Atlanta 11 Alive Weather App
Not formatting correctly on iPad?
Ads too obtrusive
Crashes upon loading this week
Great when it actually works! (But that's rare)